Marketing Communications and Events
Personal information such as name, postal address, phone number, email address, date of birth (where appropriate), information about your interests and hobbies etc and online identifiers, such as IP addresses (the location of the computer on the internet).
Details as necessary where you have agreed to Git Aid
From your interaction with us when:
- visiting our website
- you engage with our social media channels
- making a donation direct to Demelza or through our partner organisations such as Just Giving or Virgin Money
- contributing to our fundraising activities or events
- sponsoring a supporter
- making a purchase of any goods through our retail outlets
- where you have requested details on how you can help.
We use a variety of methods to send marketing to you including post, telephone and electronic channels.
Electronic marketing includes the use of:
- text messages.
We’ll always ask your permission before we make use of these electronic marketing channels.
You can choose any combination of these methods and once you have told us how you want to hear from us, we’ll check in with you regularly (approximately every three years unless we advise you to the contrary) to make sure you haven't changed your mind. You can always tell us, at any time, if you no longer want to receive these communications.
Demelza uses social media to communicate with you and share information about campaigns or events. Currently we use Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram. We do this through advertising on your social media or through posting messages and information on our own social media pages which you may choose to “like”, “follow” or interact with.
For our supporters who are also Facebook users, we work with Facebook to use tools that Facebook make available to us to advertise to you. These tools enable our communications to appear on news feeds, and this is called a “custom audience”. We will only do this if you have already consented to us sending you marketing via email and where we believe the marketing communication may be of interest to you. Where this is the case, your name and e-mail address will be uploaded in an encrypted format to Facebook. Facebook will determine if you have a Facebook account and then place the marketing directly on your news feed. We may also use the same tool in a slightly different way to ensure you don’t receive unnecessary marketing communications.
We take your privacy and rights seriously and we use our legitimate interest to use your information and communicate with you in this way as we believe it will be of interest to you. Therefore, we will not ask for your permission to market to you through social media, but you are always free to inform us that you do not want us to contact you in in this way. Please refer to the Changing Marketing Preferences section below.
You can also update your preferences within the social media site to stop receiving marketing. For further information on Facebook in particular, please see their Terms and Privacy pages.
Telephone and Postal
We may also undertake telephone and or postal fundraising based on our legitimate interest. This means we won’t ask you for prior permission, but you can always tell us if you no longer want to be contacted. Our decision to use legitimate interest has been carefully considered weighing up our interests against your rights to privacy.
Like with electronic marketing, we’ll check in with you regularly (approximately every three years unless we advise you to the contrary) to make sure you haven’t changed your mind and you can always tell us, at any time, if you no longer want to receive these communications.
It is not our intention to cause you any distress with the marketing activities we undertake, and we do take your privacy rights very seriously.
For this reason, you can stop receiving any marketing communications altogether or change your preferences at any time either by following the instructions in the communication you have received or by contacting our Supporter Services on 0300 365 3653 or email email@example.com.
We won’t use your information for marketing purposes if you have asked us not to. However, we may retain your details on a suppression list to help ensure we don’t continue to contact you.
To help us to promote our products and services to appropriate individuals, and to provide our supporters with the best experience possible, we may from time to time undertake profiling and automated decision-making activities, to target key individuals to whom we will market specific products and services to.
Before we do this, we will:
- carry out a Data Protection Impact Assessment to consider and address the risks before we start any new automated decision-making or profiling
- tell our supporters about the profiling and automated decision-making we carry out, what information we use to create the profiles and where we get this information from
- Use anonymised data in our profiling activities.
You will always have the right to opt out of any or all forms of processing by Demelza
- we may carry out wealth screening, a process which uses trusted third-party partners to automate some of this work. You will always have the right to opt out of this processing
- we may use information gathered from public sources alongside the information you provide to undertake analysis of who might support the Charity and to understand the preferences of our donors about events, communication and services. By doing this, we can focus conversations we have with you about fundraising and volunteering in the most effective way and ensure that we provide you with an experience as a donor or potential donor which is appropriate for you.
Access to your data held in our Marketing database is restricted to only those Demelza staff who require access.
To support our marketing activities, we may make use of third parties in the processing if your data such as:
- database hosting and management
- platforms to enable text and email marketing messaging
- wealth screening services
- social media engagement with platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Intragram, YouTube and Google
- event management companies
- survey hosting and admin
- mailing houses and printing services
- marketing consultants for specialist advise
For Facebook marketing: as noted above, we may participate in Facebook’s ‘Custom Audience’ programme which enables us to display ads to our existing supporters when they visit Facebook. We provide your email address, mobile number and address to Facebook so they can determine whether you are a registered account holder with them. Our adverts may then appear when you access Facebook. Your data is sent in an encrypted format that is deleted by Facebook if it does not match with a Facebook account.
For more information please see https://www.facebook.com/business/help/744354708981227 and Facebook’s Data Policy at https://en-gb.facebook.com/policy.php.
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
This potentially means for each of the various marketing activities undertake we will agree a separate retention criteria. For further details please contact us as firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of our Retention Policy.
However, in principle your data is used for the purposes of marketing only where you have not requested or asked up to stop marketing by means of say an unsubscribe in an email or by another request. Where you have asked to stop and where we have no other legal or permissible reason to keep your data then this will be deleted or anonymised.