Cooking clearly runs in the family for Demelza's Chef 'Pie', and with Gingerbread House Day falling on Sunday 12 December, Pie knew just who to ask for a recipe - his mum, Claire!
"With Gingerbread House Day coming up I knew straight away to ask for a recipe; my mum (Claire) who has been volunteering at Demelza since 2009. It just so happened she was making some gingerbread at the weekend, so, I asked her nicely to share her recipe and grab some pictures of her making them - They are very good (I am not just saying that), enjoy!" - Chef 'Pie'.
Gingerbread men recipe
(Makes approximately 18 gingerbread men).
175g soft brown sugar
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tsp golden syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
Currants, smarties or icing for decoration
1) Preheat oven to 180c
2) Add the dry ingredients into a bowl, rub in butter, add sugar and mix well
3) Warm the syrup slightly and add with the egg to the other ingredients
4) Knead until smooth, then chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 3mm and cut with a gingerbread man cutter
5) Lift men onto a lightly greased baking tray and decorate with currants for eyes, nose, mouth and buttons down the front of his body. Alternatively leave plain for decorating with piped icing and smarties after baking
6) Bake for 10-15 minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool.