We offer a space in which children and adults can communicate and express themselves, through words if they are able to, but also in non-verbal ways through vocalisation, body language and facial expressions.
The child and their family members are at the heart of every session and you will have the opportunity to lead the session if you wish. The sessions can be loud and lively or relaxing and soothing and maybe even a mixture of all of these.
The benefits of music therapy at Demelza include:
Music therapy sessions at Demelza will open up wonderful possibilities for engagement and interaction for you, your child and your family.
- Communication - Some of the children and young people may find it difficult to communicate verbally so music can be an amazing tool for communication without the need for words
- Self-expression - Music therapy sessions offer a time and space for children to explore, identify and express their feelings – all through the power of music and lyrics
- Empowerment - Music therapy focuses on what a child or person can do, not on what they are unable to do
- Choice - Demelza offers private one-to-one sessions and music therapy groups are also available
- Memory making - Sessions offers families the opportunity to sing, dance and play together and build precious memories
- Bereavement support - Music therapy forms an important part of Demelza’s bereavement services, supporting families to process their grief
Lucy's Music Therapy
We look forward to these sessions every week and they are a fun start to our weekends. Being able to connect with other families taking part in music therapy has been a lifeline." - Lucy's mum, Sam, has shared their story