It's Pancake Day! And Chef Pie has given us his recipe for fluffy, Japanese pancakes...
For the ingredients you will need:
150g self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and add the egg and oil. Whilst mixing, gradually add the milk to form the pancake batter. Once the batter is made stir in the vanilla extract.
2. Lightly oil a frying pan and crumpet rings (approx. 3cm deep and 9cm across). Fill the rings with the batter about ¾ full.
3. Cover with a lid and cook on very low heat for 7-10 minutes.
4. Once the pancakes are starting to set and bubble then it's time to turn them over.
5. Lift them out and put them on a metal tray, flip the pan over (careful as it will be hot!), place the pan over the pancakes and tray, then flip it all over to return the pancakes to the pan.
6. Continue to cook with the lid off for a couple of minutes to set the top.
7. Remove the pancakes from the pan and ring, serve with maple syrup, golden syrup or whatever you fancy!